Scilab Home Page | Wiki | Bug Tracker | Forge | Mailing List Archives | Scilab Online Help | File Exchange
ATOMS : Arduino details
Please login or create an account

Arduino

Arduino Communication through Serial
(19920 downloads for this version - 119732 downloads for all versions)
Details
Version
1.5
A more recent valid version with binaries for Scilab 6.0 exists: 1.6.2
Author
Bruno JOFRET
Owner Organization
Scilab Enterprises
Maintainers
Yann Debray
Bruno Jofret
Administrator Atoms
Samuel Gougeon
Categories
License
Creation Date
September 8, 2018
Source created on
Scilab 6.0.x
Binaries available on
Scilab 5.5.x:
Windows 64-bit Windows 32-bit
Scilab 6.0.x:
Windows 64-bit Windows 32-bit
Install command
--> atomsInstall("arduino")
Description
            
This toolbox provides Arduino communication blocks for Xcos.

Communication is performed through Serial port.

The Arduino board must be flashed with the file toolbox_arduino_v4.ino (shipped
in the module and downloadable from the ATOMS page).

TUTORIALS (in english)
----------------------
* Blinking LED Tutorial: 
https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/arduino/1.5/files/Scilab_Arduino_Blinking_LED_Tutorial.pdf
* Temperature monitoring Tutorial:
 https://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/arduino/1.5/files/Scilab_Arduino_Temperature_monitoring_Tutorial.pdf

RESOURCES
---------
* toolbox_arduino_v4.ino:
  http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/arduino/1.5/files/toolbox_arduino_v4-1.ino
* Demosciences project (in french):
  http://www.demosciences.fr/projets/scilab-arduino


CHANGES 1.4 => 1.5
==================
* toolbox_arduino_v4.ino is now shipped within the toolbox, including the
  MPU6050 bloc and filtering. Thanks to David VIOLEAU.
* etc/arduino-style.xml is partly provided (but it does not (yet) work).

BUGS FIXED
* Icons labels are restored and improved.
* All demos are restored.
* In the example9.zcos demo, the PI block refered to an inexisting
  PIcontrol function.
* The arduino.start changed the user working directory. Fixed.
* init_arduino() and ARDUINO_post_simulate() had still some old cells
  
TODO:
  * Initialize properly icons labels
  * Extend the module to Linux users (through the serial toolbox based on TCL)
  * Translate help pages in english
  * Translate blocks interfaces and error messages
  * Translate demos
            
Files (8)
[805.68 kB]
Source code archive

[982.90 kB]
Windows 64-bit binary for Scilab 5.5.x

[982.90 kB]
Windows 32-bit binary for Scilab 5.5.x

[1.06 MB]
Windows 64-bit binary for Scilab 6.0.x

[1.06 MB]
Windows 32-bit binary for Scilab 6.0.x

[39.82 kB]
Miscellaneous file

News (0)
Comments (11)     Leave a comment 
Comment from Dirceu Rodriguers Jr -- September 20, 2018, 06:09:36 PM    
The "toolbox_arduino_v4_ino" is in HTML format. Valid Arduino .ino file?
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- September 20, 2018, 08:28:25 PM    
> The "toolbox_arduino_v4_ino" is in HTML format. Valid Arduino .ino file?

Thanks for pointing out this formatting error.
The file in raw txt format is now available in the above list.
It will be replaced within the next version of the package.
Comment from Dirceu Rodriguers Jr -- September 20, 2018, 06:14:32 PM    
This comment has been deleted.
Comment from Dirceu Rodriguers Jr -- September 20, 2018, 06:18:27 PM    
Also, the new version (Arduino 1.5 on Scilab 6.0.1) does not open my previous XCOS files
(coded in Aduino 1.3 on Scilab 5.5 for example).
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- September 20, 2018, 08:16:02 PM    
Hello,
> Also, the new version (Arduino 1.5 on Scilab 6.0.1) does not open my previous XCOS
> files (coded in Aduino 1.3 on Scilab 5.5 for example).

This is (unfortunately) not an Arduino issue, but a more general one: Scilab 6.0 is almost

never able to load Xcos diagrams generated and saved with Scilab 5.5. This is reported as 
bug http://bugzilla.scilab.org/15468
This is an awful blocking bug.
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- May 30, 2019, 01:14:54 PM    
> bug http://bugzilla.scilab.org/15468 . This is an awful blocking bug.

This bug is now fixed.
Comment from Dirceu Rodriguers Jr -- October 2, 2018, 04:38:39 PM    
Samuel, 
   thank you for response.I want to use my projects written in Arduino 1.3 on Arduino 1.5.
They are quite big. Based on your answer I understood that it's not possible to open the
Scilab 5.5 XCOS generated files on Scilab 6.0.1. So I installed version 5.5 to be able to
"copy them visually". But now I get the following message: "No ATOMS module
is available.
Please, check your Internet connection or make sure your OS is compatible with
ATOMS."
The computer and the OS are the same when worked fine. The Internet conn is OK, too.
Some suggestion? 

Thanks.
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- October 2, 2018, 08:35:36 PM    
Yann,
Could the fix from Clément be reviewed and merged ASAP?:
https://codereview.scilab.org/20522

Dirceu Rodriguers Jr,
With Scilab 5.5.2, did you run
--> atomsSystemUpdate()
before running the ATOMS manager?
Comment from Dirceu Rodriguers Jr -- October 3, 2018, 02:52:40 AM    
Apologize for this my last error: The Scilab 5.5.2 was in offline mode. But by now,
issuing the command below I got:
atomsInstall('C:\Temp\arduino-1.3.tar.gz')
 !--error 4 
Variable undefined: extract_cmd
at line      76 of function atomsExtract called by :  
at line     153 of function atomsInstall called by :  
atomsInstall('C:\Temp\arduino-1.3.tar.gz')
Comment from Fran Ibanez -- October 7, 2018, 01:57:01 AM    
Hello,

I have Scilab 6.0.1 running on Windows 10 64-bit with the Arduino 1.5 64-bit toolbox.
I flashed Arduino Uno board with toolbox_arduino_v4-1 succesfuly, tried some commands like
Dw21 on the Serial Monitor and it worked well. But when trying to do the Arduino Blinking
LED example (or other one) on Xcos I get the following error prompt:


Il faut charger avec le logiciel arduino le sketch toolbox_arduino_v3.ino dans la carte  
   Arduino

  And this message on Scilab console:


communication with card 1 on com 7 is ok

Error occurred in pre_xcos_simulate: Cancelling simulation.
at line 65 of function pre_xcos_simulate

  And if I compile the program I get this other one on the console:


msprintf: Número incorrecto de argumentos de entrada: Los datos no entran en el formato.

 do_eval: Error while calling block ARDUINO_DIGITAL_WRITE [uid='']: invali 
 d parameter (ier=999.000000, %scicos_prob=%F).

I've tried different configurations, re-install, but nothing seems to work.

I would appreciate some help.

Thank you.

Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- October 7, 2018, 03:39:22 PM    
Hello,
Could you please report issues in the dedicated tool, on the Arduino forge
http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/arduino/issues ?
It is not possible to keep track of and discuss issues and solutions here.
This is not the right place. Thanks.


> I have Scilab 6.0.1 running on Windows 10 64-bit with the Arduino 1.5 64-bit toolbox.
> I flashed Arduino Uno board with toolbox_arduino_v4-1 succesfuly, tried some commands
> like
> Dw21 on the Serial Monitor and it worked well. But when trying to do the Arduino
> Blinking
> LED example (or other one) on Xcos I get the following error prompt:
> 
> 
> Il faut charger avec le logiciel arduino le sketch toolbox_arduino_v3.ino dans la 
carte 
> 
>    Arduino
> 
>   And this message on Scilab console:
> 
> 
> communication with card 1 on com 7 is ok
> 
> Error occurred in pre_xcos_simulate: Cancelling simulation.
> at line 65 of function pre_xcos_simulate
> 
>   And if I compile the program I get this other one on the console:
> 
> msprintf: Número incorrecto de argumentos de entrada: Los datos no entran en el
> formato.
> 
>  do_eval: Error while calling block ARDUINO_DIGITAL_WRITE [uid='']: invali 
>  d parameter (ier=999.000000, %scicos_prob=%F).

When you report error messages, please be sure to report the whole message, including 
upstream references (with lines numbers, etc). Otherwise, it is much harder to identify 
the issue, when it is not fully reproducible.

By the way, here, the "999.000000" display tells that format() has very likely
been used 
to change the formatting (and display) of numbers. This may yield many issues.

Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- May 30, 2019, 06:04:39 PM    
>... I get the following error prompt:
> 
> Il faut charger avec le logiciel arduino le sketch toolbox_arduino_v3.ino dans la
carte 
Arduino

This is fixed in Arduino 1.6. Please have a try.
Comment from Emmo Pwemko -- November 15, 2018, 02:55:03 AM    
Is it possible to edit the toolbox_arduino_v3.ino code to cater an ultrasonic sensor so 
that I can use an ultrasonic sensor in Scilab? like this
void loop() {

  scilabFnc(); // toolbox_arduino_v3 function
  delay(10);
  ultraFunc(); // Ultrasonic sensor Function
  delay(10) 
  
  
}

I tried it but scilab gives me an error while using the arduino toolbox like 

The toolbox_arduino_v3.ino sketch must be loaded with Arduino software in 
the Arduino board
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- May 30, 2019, 06:06:52 PM    
> Is it possible to edit the toolbox_arduino_v3.ino code to cater an ultrasonic sensor
so
> 
> that I can use an ultrasonic sensor in Scilab? like this
> void loop() {
>   scilabFnc(); // toolbox_arduino_v3 function
>   delay(10);
>   ultraFunc(); // Ultrasonic sensor Function
>   delay(10) 
> }
> 
> I tried it but scilab gives me an error while using the arduino toolbox like 
> 
> The toolbox_arduino_v3.ino sketch must be loaded with Arduino software in 
> the Arduino board

This error was not specific to your trial. It is fixed in Arduino 1.6.
Please retry with it and do not hesitate to report your result.
Thanks
Comment from Tobias Brack -- May 15, 2019, 12:16:51 AM    
Same here, "Il faut charger avec le logiciel arduino le sketch toolbox_arduino_v3.ino
dans
la carte Arduino"

Scilab 6.0.2
Arduino toolbox 1.5
Arduino IDE 1.8.9

same error if I use toolbox_arduino_v4-1.ino. 
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- May 30, 2019, 06:07:55 PM    
> Same here, "Il faut charger avec le logiciel arduino le sketch
> toolbox_arduino_v3.ino dans
> la carte Arduino"
> 
> Scilab 6.0.2
> Arduino toolbox 1.5

Should now be fixed in Arduino 1.6.
Comment from Tetsuo Yoshino -- May 28, 2019, 04:38:37 AM    
As for "Il faut charger avec le logiciel arduino le sketch toolbox_arduino_v3.ino dans
la carte  
   Arduino" error,  I found a strange behavior of read_serial() function in  arduino
toolbox 1.5

 After setup Arduino on USB and from  the scilab console, commands
      open_serial(1,5,115200)
and 
      write_serial(1,"R3",2)
get ans = 0, but successive command
     read_serial(1,2)
almost every time returns
     v3cal 
or v3 trailing with some other characters.
If serial communication toolbox installed, commands
openserial, writeserial  and readserial  work fine and 
I can stably get clean "v3" response after reopening scilab.
ARDUINO_pre_simulate() function verify "v3" response
by these arduino 1.5 toolbox command, the error occurs
inevitably,

I tried changing serial speed with no luck.
Does someone know any fix or suggestions?
Scilab 6.0.2
Arduino toolbox 1,5
windows 7 32bit
Leave a comment
You must register and log in before leaving a comment.
Email notifications
Send me email when this toolbox has changes, new files or a new release.
You must register and log in before setting up notifications.