Scilab Home Page | Wiki | Bug Tracker | Forge | Mailing List Archives | Scilab Online Help | File Exchange
ATOMS : Image Processing Design Toolbox details
Please login or create an account

Image Processing Design Toolbox

This toolbox implements functions for object detection.
(28031 downloads for this version - 211737 downloads for all versions)
Details
Version
8.3.3
Author
Dr. Eng. (J) Harald Galda
Owner Organization
private individual
Maintainers
Pierre-Aime Agnel
Harald Galda
Category
License
Creation Date
October 3, 2016
Source created on
Scilab 5.5.x
Binaries available on
Scilab 5.4.x:
MacOSX Windows 32-bit Windows 64-bit
Install command
--> atomsInstall("IPD")
Description
            IPD - Image Processing Design Toolbox Version 8.3
Copyright (c) by Dr. Eng. (J) Harald Galda, 2009 - 2014.
Edited by Allan Cornet, 2012.
Conveyed under the conditions of the GNU GPL Version 3 or later.


This toolbox provides functions for designing and parameterizing image
processing algorithms. The following functionality is provided:

1. Histogram calculation
   - gray level histogram
   - cumulated histogram

2. Thresholding
   - segmentation by threshold
   - threshold calculation by Otsu method

3. Morphological filters
   - dilation
   - erosion
   - closing
   - opening
   - top hat
   - bottom hat

4. Median filter

5. Filtering for edge detection
    - Sobel filter
    - Laplace filter
    - Prewitt filter
    - Scharr filter

6. Region based segmentation (not on MacOS)
   - distance transform
   - watershed transform

7. Blob analysis
   - searching connected regions in binary images
   - removing blobs that have less pixels than a lower bound or more pixels
     than an upper bound
   - calculating specific properties of blobs such as bounding box, centroid
   - drawing bounding boxes around objects found in an image
   - calculating histogram of blob sizes
   - calculating cumulated histogram of blob sizes

8. Displaying images in figure windows
   - display
   - conversion of RGB to indexed images
   - conversion of indexed images to RGB 

9. Conversion between color images and gray level images
   - RGB    to  gray level
   - RGB    to  L*a*b* 
   - L*a*b* to  RGB 

10. Opening image and video files
   - reading image files
   - writing image files
   - reading video files

11. Linear filteration

12. Variance filter

13. Texture feature calculation
   - Laws texture energy
   - discrete Wavelet frames

14. Template Matching

15. Interactive Image Analysis GUI


Differences between versions 8.3 and 8.2:

- It is possible to build the toolbox on Linux and MacOS.
- The toolbox will be compatible to Scilab 5.4


This version uses OpenCV which is available for download at

     www.opencv.org

If you intend to work with the file red-car-video.avi, please install the XVid
codec which is available for download at 

      www.xvid.org

The video red-car-video.avi can not be displayed on MacOS Yosemite and might be
replaced by another video in the future.            
Files (8)
[48.01 MB]
MacOSX binary for Scilab 5.4.x
Binaries for MacOS, built on Yosemite.
[46.98 MB]
Source code archive

[22.23 MB]
Windows 32-bit binary for Scilab 5.4.x
Binaries for 32 bit Windows.
[22.23 MB]
Windows 64-bit binary for Scilab 5.4.x
Binaries for 64 bit Windows.
[2.09 kB]
Miscellaneous file
A short description of this toolbox.
[3.23 kB]
Miscellaneous file
このツールボックスの日本語の説明です。This is a description
of the toolbox in Japanese.
[3.85 MB]
Miscellaneous file
This document gives an introduction to image processing and this toolbox.
[2.29 MB]
Miscellaneous file
This is a presentation held on the first Scilab conference in Germany (written
in German).
News (19)
Comments (9)     Leave a comment 
Comment from Harald Galda -- October 3, 2016, 06:53:21 PM    
Some bugs in IPD.start prevented the toolbox from being loaded on MacOS and Linux. These
bugs are corrected in Version 
8.3.3. Users who apply this toolbox on Windows do not need to re-install it.
Comment from Andres Leyton -- November 22, 2016, 06:22:02 PM    
This comment has been deleted.
Comment from Alexander Fedotov -- February 21, 2017, 04:50:42 PM    
very good
Comment from Akash Nigam -- June 1, 2017, 06:18:24 AM    
I cannot see help part for IPD. Is the tutorial only the guiding tool. Demo works fine in
Scilab.
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- June 1, 2017, 02:07:26 PM    
> I cannot see help part for IPD. Is the tutorial only the guiding tool. Demo works
fine
> in Scilab.

If your help browser is already open when you load IPD (or any other package), you must
close and restart it to see the IPD section (at the bottom).
Comment from Akash Nigam -- June 7, 2017, 12:59:29 PM    
Thanks Mr. Gougeon for such a quick reply. (apparently there are some differences between
manually installing the toolbox by unzipping the folder in contrib(earlier I had done
this) and ATOMS. I installed IPD through ATOMS and it worked fine. Even loaded itself
automatically with every startup. Big help.)

I used IPD because it shows the image in the graphic window, and then I used the locate
function (GUI) to get some points from the user and crop the image. Worked fine on my
computer. 

However, as soon as I use another computer and put in ShowImage, I get this error -
ConcreteDrawableGrayPlot::drawGrayPlot: No more memory.

How to solve this???

Picture specifications - Large Image - 2592*1944 (Grayscale)
Smaller Image - Around 700*700 (Grayscale) 

Both of them open in my computer but not on others. Does it has something to do with
OPENCV? (Somewhere else it was mentioned that OpenCV is not required. However, my computer
has it and it works fine, while all others do not. So I am just guessing).

I also tried to use predef(0) (Which essentially did nothing) and clear function (Which
even cleared GUI, SIVP and IPD functions). Kindly tell if there is any solution for this. 

I am afraid if there is not I may have to take some long route. I really need the user to
crop my noisy images for a better application.

Answer from Harald Galda -- February 19, 2018, 02:22:48 PM    
You should not need to install OpenCV. OpenCV is conveyed along with the toolbox. The 
DLLs or dylib files must be found on the computer, of course.

> Thanks Mr. Gougeon for such a quick reply. (apparently there are some differences
> between
> manually installing the toolbox by unzipping the folder in contrib(earlier I had done
> this) and ATOMS. I installed IPD through ATOMS and it worked fine. Even loaded itself
> automatically with every startup. Big help.)
> 
> I used IPD because it shows the image in the graphic window, and then I used the
locate
> function (GUI) to get some points from the user and crop the image. Worked fine on my
> computer. 
> 
> However, as soon as I use another computer and put in ShowImage, I get this error -
> ConcreteDrawableGrayPlot::drawGrayPlot: No more memory.
> 
> How to solve this???
> 
> Picture specifications - Large Image - 2592*1944 (Grayscale)
> Smaller Image - Around 700*700 (Grayscale) 
> 
> Both of them open in my computer but not on others. Does it has something to do with
> OPENCV? (Somewhere else it was mentioned that OpenCV is not required. However, my
> computer
> has it and it works fine, while all others do not. So I am just guessing).
> 
> I also tried to use predef(0) (Which essentially did nothing) and clear function
(Which
> even cleared GUI, SIVP and IPD functions). Kindly tell if there is any solution for
> this. 
> 
> I am afraid if there is not I may have to take some long route. I really need the
user
> to
> crop my noisy images for a better application.
> 
Comment from Harald Galda -- February 19, 2018, 02:39:09 PM    
It seems that the toolbox can not be loaded when working with Scilab 6.0. 

When running Scilab 6.0 and opening ATOMS GUI, the toolbox is not shown. 

I downloaded the Windows package, I unzipped it and I copied it to C:\Program
Files\Scilab-
6.0.1\contrib\

But when I try to load the toolbox, I get an error message stating that the path of the 
folder with the macros would not be valid. It seems that lib() searches for something not 
found or a toolbox compiled on Scilab 5.0 can not be run on Scilab 6.0. 

Can someone of the Scilab team perform the necessary modifications, please?
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- February 19, 2018, 04:21:49 PM    
> It seems that the toolbox can not be loaded when working with Scilab 6.0.

Since there is no binary uploaded and available for 6.0, it is normal.
To make the toolbox visible in the ATOMS for 6.0.x, binaries tagged for 6.0 must be
uploaded.

Best regards
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- February 19, 2018, 04:35:09 PM    
> I downloaded the Windows package, I unzipped it and I copied it to C:\Program
> Files\Scilab-6.0.1\contrib\
> 
> But when I try to load the toolbox, I get an error message stating that the path of
the
> folder with the macros would not be valid. It seems that lib() searches for something
> not found or a toolbox compiled on Scilab 5.0 can not be run on Scilab 6.0.

That's right: the lib format has changed from 5.5 to 6.0. Libraries must be recompiled
(still with genlib() for macros)
Answer from Samuel Gougeon -- February 19, 2018, 04:38:44 PM    
> Can someone of the Scilab team perform the necessary modifications, please?

As announced on the mailing list in 2017, ESI do not support the portage of
existing toolboxes from 5.5 to 6.0...
Comment from Chris Juhl -- May 30, 2018, 12:18:50 PM    
Dear Lords and Ladies,

i have a Problem with the IPD. Scilab 5.5.2 / IPD 8.3.3. 
Mr. Galda referred me to write a comment. 

The problem seems to occur when a colormap is involved. In Mr Galdas Tutorial "Image
Processing with Scilab and Image Processing Design Toolbox (Copyright © by Dr. Eng. (J)
Harald Galda, 2011)" at p. 6 you read the teaset.png, transform it with rgb2gray into
graylevel image. After that the figure();-part of the original Image, gray level image and
now the problem: the pseudo color image (PCI)!
If i want to show the PCI in a window it shows me under the title "pseudo color
image"
only the gray level image.

In other operations where colormaps are involved (for example blob analysis at p. 19
bottom) the colormap isn´t showing me the colors from the tutorial, my logical image
matches with the one from the tutorial but the image of "Result of blob analysis"
is
different. The background is now inverted to white and instead of multiple colors like
orange, yellow (etc.) there is only ONE bright gray for all of the teaset. 

In every case the commands from tutorial were copied/writed down right. Scilab Console
don´t say that an Error occured.

Any suggestions what I can do to solve this problem? Didn´t find any clue :/

Thank you very much for spending time to help! 
Greetings, 
Chris Juhl


Comment from Ravindra Patil -- July 11, 2018, 05:54:51 PM    

sir,
I GOT THIS COMMENT

TENSION....................

atomsInstall('SIVP')
atomsInstallList: The package "SIVP" is not registered.
Please check on the ATOMS repository that it is available for Scilab 6.0 on Windows.
If it is, run atomsSystemUpdate() before trying atomsInstall(..) again.

at line    51 of function atomsError       ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\modules\atoms\macros\atoms_internals\atomsError.sci line 65 )
at line    78 of function atomsInstallList ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\modules\atoms\macros\atoms_internals\atomsInstallList.sci line 117 )
at line   233 of function atomsInstall     ( C:\Program
Files\scilab-6.0.1\modules\atoms\macros\atomsInstall.sci line 249 )

Leave a comment
You must register and log in before leaving a comment.
Email notifications
Send me email when this toolbox has changes, new files or a new release.
You must register and log in before setting up notifications.